[UPDATED] Books for Cambridge Preliminary (format 2020)
B1 PET exam has been updated with new format and of course, both teacher and students need to updated and revised version of books and resources for practice and preparation for it.
Below are the top books or resources which all of you need to prepare for the test.
To sum up, there would be 3 categories you should consider: courses, test preparation and practice and finally, language development books which can used along with either course ones of test practice ones. Sometimes, all of them or two of them would be combined into one book. So these kinds of books will be introduced at the end.
1. What is the B1 PET exam?
But before we go on with the books, let review what the B1 PET exam is.
Level: B1 / Pre-Intermediate Age Group: Adult / Young Adult
Type of English: General English – International English
Examiner: Cambridge Assessment English
Description: Updated for 2020. A B1 Preliminary qualification shows that you have mastered the basics of English and now have practical language skills for everyday use. This exam is the logical step in your language learning journey between A2 Key and B2 First.
- new and updated tasks across all of the papers
- better alignment between the exams, showing clearer progression from one exam to the next
- an update to the way that grades are reported, bringing the exams in line with higher level Cambridge English Qualifications
- separation of the Reading and Writing papers in B1 Preliminary and B1 Preliminary for Schools. Further Details
Previously Known as: Cambridge English: Preliminary, Cambridge Preliminary English Test (PET)
Now it’s the time to browse the books and resources for the 1st categories: Courses.
Course Books for PET 2020
Complete Preliminary (PET) (2020 Exam)
Complete Preliminary 2nd edition is the most thorough preparation for the revised B1 Preliminary.
Complete Preliminary 2nd edition is the most in-depth course book for the updated B1 Preliminary. Millions of candidates worldwide trust in Complete. With the Complete Approach to Language Learning and Assessment Preparation, this course helps you to improve student performance. It provides a stimulating learning atmosphere with eye-catching images, easy-to-use units and fun topics.
Moreover, students are able to create confidence through our unique understanding of the exam and insights from the success of previous candidates. Via examination guidance and integrated examination procedure, a specific examination trip using the Complete formula offers effective and stress-free results.
We can refer to some pages extracted from this book. Function banks for Writing and Speaking – extracted from Complete PET 2020
Review article for Cambridge Complete Preliminary at Cambridge Complete Preliminary Book review – Writing Addict
Total B1 Preliminary Now (PET & PET4S) Student’s Book with Vocabulary Maximiser
A comprehensive preparation for the new B1 Preliminary exam 2020 from Publisher: Black Cat Publishing.
Total B1 Preliminary Now! prepares students both for the Cambridge B1 Preliminary B1 Preliminary for Schools, updated with new exam format which started being used from 2020.
Furthermore, it can also serve as intensive preparation for the B1 Preliminary qualification or as a general language course.
Compact Preliminary for Schools Second Edition
As its name, it is short, fast, focused exam preparation – a 50 to 60 hour course for the B1 Preliminary for Schools exam from 2020. It would be useful for a short test before going to Practice the tests.
Least but not least, Compact offers intensive revision and practice to quickly maximize student performance. With this course you will consolidate language and skills for exam success through clear, concise training. Compact help you build confidence with its unique step-by-step approach and teaches essential exam strategies through user-friendly Exam tips. The exam-specific Grammar sections and Grammar reference deepen understanding of language structures, while the Speaking bank and Writing bank extend proficiency in productive skills. Additional projects in the second edition extend the learning potential for classes with more teaching hours.
Test preparation and practice for PET 2020
B1 Preliminary 1 for the Revised 2020 Exam
Authentic, original examination papers from Cambridge Assessment English provide perfect practice because they are EXACTLY like the real exam.
Inside B1 Preliminary for the revised 2020 exam you’ll find four complete examination papers from Cambridge Assessment English. Be confident on exam day by working through each part of the exam and scoring system so you can familiarize yourself with the format and practice your exam technique. The book contains transcripts, sample Writing answers, scripts for the Speaking test, and sample answer sheets. Moreover, you can download the audio for the Listening tests, example Speaking test video and answer keys with extra explanations (instructions on inner front cover), or access your audio and video directly via QR codes in the book.
Succeed in Cambridge English B1 Preliminary – 8 Practice Tests for the Revised Exam from 2020
Succeed in … has been quite well-known as the good books series of 8 practice tests for many Cambridge Exams, especially B1 Preliminary 2020. Let’s have a look on their key features below:
- 8 complete B1 Preliminary (PET) for Schools Practice Tests. The first Practice Test comes with practical and useful Exam Tips like a trainer.
- The full colour Exam Guide provides analytical and step-by-step advice on how to tackle each of the exam tasks for all 4 Papers of the exam
- QR Codes for each part of the Listening paper
- Writing Tutor with Model Writings, Suggested Structure, Useful Vocabulary and Writing Ideas for each of the 24 writing tasks in this book.
- Speaking Tutor with guidance for every part of all the Speaking tasks in the book
- Self-study Edition available, with a Self-study Guide that includes:
- Detailed and clear explanations for the right and the wrong answers
- The Writing and the Speaking Tutors.
- Audio scripts, Answer Key, MP3 Audio CD
PET Practice Tests Plus: B1 Preliminary for Schools Practice Tests Plus – from Pearson
The Practice Tests Plus series provides authentic practice for the Cambridge English Preliminary exam, including complete tests with guidance and useful tips which maximize learners’ chances of excelling.
Key features are:
- 100% in line with current Cambridge exams requirements, including 2020 exam
- Exam overview provides detailed information about each paper
- Guidance activities increase awareness about what each part of the exam is testing and scaffold the students’ experience (A2 Key and B1 Preliminary)
- Tip strips provide strategies and hints on where to look and what to look for when responding to a question
- Grammar bank provides language input, support and practice on some key structures for the level (A2 Key and B1 Preliminary)
- Speaking bank provides useful language and extra practice for each part of the speaking test
- Writing bank provides model answers, useful language and extra input to support the writing paper
- Speaking test video allows students to see how the speaking test is carried out
- Examiner feedback video aims to highlight strengths and areas for improvement
- About the exam video gives information for the exam
PET Trainer and Practice Test
Oxford Preparation & Practice for Cambridge English B1 Preliminary (PET) (2020 Exam) Exam Trainer
Preparing students for the Cambridge English B1 Preliminary exam.
An exam preparation title for teachers looking to prepare students for the Cambridge English B1 Preliminary exam in conjunction with a main course book. Through its combination of systematic training activities and practice tests, students will be well prepared and can sit the exam with confidence.
Moreover, this Student’s Book Pack contains the resources your students need to achieve success in the Cambridge English B1 Preliminary exam, including seven practice tests (six print tests and one online) and downloadable audio for listening tests. It also features specific training on how to approach every task type in the exam.
Through its combination of systematic training activities and practice tests, students will be well prepared and can sit the exam with confidence.
B1 Preliminary for Schools Trainer 1 for the Revised 2020 Exam
Six full practice tests plus easy-to-follow expert guidance and exam tips designed to guarantee exam success.
Furthermore, B1 Preliminary for Schools Trainer includes six full practice tests, the first two with easy-to-follow, expert guidance. The two guided tests include: 42 Tips, 24 Advice boxes, 12 Remember boxes, Training activities, Exam practice, Exam orientation and frequently asked questions. Build confidence in each exam paper by following the step-by-step guidance, tips and strategies in the Training and Exam Practice exercises in the first two tests. Develop exam technique with the final four tests, applying the lessons, techniques and hints acquired in Tests 1 and 2.
Exam Booster for Preliminary (PET) & Preliminary for Schools (PET4S) (2020 Exams)
Essential exam task practice for class or home study for use alongside a course book or intensively before the exam.
Focus on essential exam practice for the revised 2020 exams with the Exam Booster for B1 Preliminary and B1 Preliminary for Schools. Maximize learners’ potential with dedicated exam task practice for class or home study. 48 exam tasks practice each part of the exam three times while exam facts provide practical information. Moreover, exam tips provide useful advice on how to approach the exercises and ‘Get it right’ boxes highlight typical candidate errors in the exam. This student edition Exam Booster is suitable for both B1 Preliminary and B1 Preliminary for Schools.
Language development books for PET 2020
Cambridge Vocabulary for PET
This book covers the vocabulary needed for the PET Exam and provides students with practice of exam tasks from each paper. It includes common learner error warnings and exam tips to help students improve their exam performance.
Moreover, this book covers the vocabulary needed for the PET exam. It provides students with practice of exam tasks from the Reading, Writing and Listening papers. The book includes useful tips on how to approach exams tasks and learn vocabulary. Moreover, It is informed by the Cambridge International Corpus and the Cambridge Learner Corpus to ensure that the vocabulary is presented in genuine contexts and covers real learner errors.
Cambridge Grammar for PET
Cambridge Grammar for PET provides complete coverage of the grammar needed for the Cambridge PET exam, and develops listening skills at the same time. Furthermore, it includes the full range of PET exam tasks from the Reading, Writing and Listening papers, and contains helpful grammar explanations and a grammar glossary.
- Presents grammar through listening material which adds interest and aids understanding of the grammar while also improving listening skills.
- Contains clear and reliable grammar explanations with lots of examples making it ideal for learning new grammar points or for use as a reference.
- Practises a range of PET exam tasks from Reading, Writing and Listening papers providing exam preparation.
- Each exam practice section has a ‘Grammar focus’ task which connects the grammar studied to the whole exam.
- Includes a helpful grammar glossary where difficult grammatical language is explained simply.
Common Mistakes at PET…and How to Avoid Them
This invaluable little book highlights the real mistakes that students make in the exam – and shows how to avoid them. Based on analysis of thousands of exam scripts, each unit targets a key problem area. Moreover, clear explanations and exercises help students to use the language accurately. Regular tests offer students a further opportunity to check and consolidate what they have learnt.
- Highlights common mistakes that learners really make
- Based on analysis of thousands of exam scripts
- Short, snappy explanations focus on key problem areas
- Includes exam-style exercises
Check Your Vocabulary for PET
A range of workbooks for students preparing for English exams
This useful set of workbooks is an invaluable aid designed to help students prepare for their English examinations. Each book has a range of different activities to help build up, improve and revise English vocabulary relevant to the chosen exam.
- An ideal supplement for the classroom or for self-study
- Vocabulary is built up through exercises, word games, puzzles and quizzes
- Easy-to-use format with clear instructions and answer keys
- Covers general and topic-specific vocabulary, as well as grammar, use of English, comprehension, pronunciation and spelling
Destination Grammar and Vocabulary B1
The “Destination Grammar” is the ideal grammar and vocabulary practice book for all students preparing to take any B1 level exam. The book contains 28 grammar units and 14 vocabulary units covering a wide range of exercise types, including those found in PET. This is the With Key edition containing an answer key and seven extra photocopiable tests.
- Each grammar unit begins with a clear one-page presentation of grammar rules and examples followed by carefully graded exercises providing students with reference and practice opportunities all in one place.
- A wide range of exercises, including those found in the Cambridge English exams, ensures students practice the task types they will encounter in the exams.
- The topic-based vocabulary units open with presentation tables showing topic vocabulary, phrasal verbs, prepositional phrases, word formation and word patterns while the accompanying activities offer systematic practice of the target language and vocabulary.
- The reference and practice material, including a unit-by-unit glossary of vocabulary with definitions and example sentences from the Macmillan Essential Dictionary, provides students with additional support.
- The series includes fourteen 2-page reviews and two 4-page progress tests, providing extensive opportunities for consolidation of grammar and vocabulary skills.
Collins Work On Your Vocabulary – Intermediate B1
Hundreds of words to learn and remember.
Collins Work on your Vocabulary – Intermediate B1 is a new practice book that covers the key vocabulary needed by learners of English at Intermediate level (CEF level B1).
This book is an essential resource for learners who want to improve their English vocabulary. Each of the 30 units presents vocabulary relating to a particular topic using clear language and examples. This is followed by practice exercises to ensure the learner will remember and be able to use what they have learnt with confidence in their written and spoken English.
The vocabulary covered in Collins Work on your Vocabulary – Intermediate (B1) has been carefully selected based on Collins Corpus research and the experience of our language experts. As a result, this book provides plenty of useful practice with authentic, up-to-date examples of language usage in context. A carefully structured layout and simple illustrations make sure the language is always clear and the book is easy to navigate. Collins Work on your Vocabulary – Intermediate (B1) is ideal for self-study or for use in the classroom, and is an essential resource for students and teachers.
- Focuses on the vocabulary required at Intermediate level (CEF level B1)
- Thirty units with clear presentation material followed by practice exercises
- Authentic examples of real English, taken from the Collins Corpus
- Includes line drawings which illustrate key concepts
- Clear structure and presentation of language
- Plenty of room to write in
- Full answer key included
- Ideal for self-study or for use in the classroom
Thank for reading this post. I’m collecting these books and resources to share to all of you.
Please wait for the review and course comparison articles next week.
Last updated 22-Feb-2022
5 Replies to “[UPDATED] Books for Cambridge Preliminary (format 2020)”