Table of Contents
Thesaurus of Journey
How many synonyms are there for journey?
Journey /ˈdʒɜː.ni/ is a word that means an act of travelling from one place to another, or a long and often difficult process of personal change and development1. It can also be used as a verb to mean travel somewhere1. Especially in British English, journey is an occasion when you travel from one place to another – used especially about travelling a long distance, or travelling somewhere regularly. There are many journey synonyms that you can use to make your writing more varied and interesting. Here are some examples:
- trip a journey to visit a place
- tour a journey for pleasure, during which you visit several different towns, areas etc
- excursion /ɪkˈskɜː.ʃən/a short journey by a group of people to visit a place, especially while they are on holiday
- expedition /ˌek.spəˈdɪʃ.ən/ a long and carefully organized journey, especially to a dangerous or unfamiliar place
- commute /kəˈmjuːt/ the journey to and from work that someone does every day
- pilgrimage /ˈpɪlɡrəmɪdʒ/ a journey to a holy place for religious reasons
- trek a long journey, for example over mountains or through forests, especially one that people do on foot for pleasure
- travel noun [uncountable] the general activity of moving from one place to another
What is the most common synonym of the word “journey”? – That is the word “trip”.
These are just some of the synonyms for journey that you can use in your writing. You can find more synonyms at Thesaurus.com 2 or Merriam-Webster Thesaurus 34. You can also use different forms of these words depending on the context and tense. For example:
- I went on a trip to Paris last week.
- She is planning an expedition to Antarctica next year.
- He trekked across the desert for three days.
- They embarked on a voyage around the world.
- We enjoyed our cruise along the Nile river.
- He loves going on safaris in Africa.
- She took me for a ride on her bike.
- He drove me to the airport this morning.
- She transferred to another school last month.
- They made their crossing by ferry.
What is the most common synonym of the word “journey”? – That’s “trip”.
I hope this blog post helps you understand some of the synonyms for journey and how to use them in your writing. What kind of writing are you working on?
Visit vocabulary builder sections for more posts like this journey synonyms article: Vocabulary builder Archives – Writing Addict